I knew I shouldn’t have had that red wine last night. Now I can vouch for why people say migraine sufferers shouldn’t drink red wine. I ended up calling my doctor today after 12 hours of a painful migraine that began at 5 am and did not respond to my usual drug protocol of Imitrex and Ibuprofen. I even threw in a Sudafed this morning just in case the headache was sinus related. No relief. I had throbbing head pain all through my work day and so I tried taking my Wellbutrin at 2:00 this afternoon. I thought Hey, maybe it’s SSRI withdrawal. Nope, no such luck. I tried to take an afternoon nap but I couldn’t even do that because the pain was so terrible. Here’s the thing about me, I have a high threshold for pain because most of the time I go through the daily motions feeling crappy so I’ve learned to block pain reception. I gave birth to 2 children without pain meds and I never cried out in pain (just a lot of moaning). Today, this migraine pain was worse than childbirth and it had me crying on the phone to my doctor. End of story is my doctor prescribed a prednisone taper but I still have a mild headache after taking the first dose. What I need is sleep so I hope I get it tonight. With the crappy day I’ve endured, I called in sick tomorrow and got myself a substitute. Mostly because I don’t know how the steroid is going to affect my sleep and mood. I’ve never been on a steroid so let’s hope it lifts me up and doesn’t make me angry and manic.
A few thoughts about all of this:
- When I was crying out in pain from a headache I forgot I was depressed.
- Real physical pain is nice because there’s no stigma attached to it.
- Reminder: never drink red wine again. It wasn’t worth it.
- I wonder how the prednisone is going to affect my new antidepressant.
- I feel like a walking pharmacy.
- When I see the therapist on Saturday I won’t know what to tell her because I’ve been feeling so awful. This last one can be a post by itself.
- I look forward to a 3 day weekend.